The Coburger Landesstiftung was created by the “Act concerning the Use of the Former Estate and the Creation of a Regional Foundation” of August 9, 1919.
After the introduction of a republican state in 1918/19, arrangements had to be made with the Ducal House of Coburg about what was to be done with the estate; this led, by mutual agreement, to the creation of the foundation. By donation of the duke, the foundation became the owner of the ducal collections and the furnishings in the castles.
The Court and State Library and the State and House Deeds Collection, which were also put under the responsibility of the foundation, are today administered by the State of Bavaria as the Coburg Regional Library and the Coburg State Archive.
The foundation’s objective is to administer the ducal assets which were given over to the public domain “solely in the best interests of the region of Coburg and for the welfare of its inhabitants for all time”.
The Coburger Landesstiftung is a public foundation and is the legal entity responsible for the Veste Coburg Art Collections and the Coburg Natural History Museum.